flo-jo

Sunday, September 17, 2006

OFFSPRING DEPARTED FOR UNI

Having read Kim's blog it brings it home to me that at this time of year lots of parents are experiencing 'new school traumas' or the emptiness of an offspring's room as they have departed for university. I fall into the latter, Nick, my youngest, left last Saturday; he is at Canterbury Christchurch Uni and although he said, before he went, he will come home most weekends I know that is not likely as he settles, makes friends and enjoys this new phase in his life. That is as it should be - but last Sunday I was a little tearful as it sunk in that he had really gone. When my eldest daughter, Jo, went to uni she commuted to London but hated her course and left it in a matter of weeks; Tess decided not to go, so my only experience of one of mine being away from home was when Jo, at 19, travelled around Thailand and Cambodia for many months. A few years later she travelled around Australia and New Zealand, from these experiences I know that I'll get used to him not being here.
He popped home yesterday, for what should have been a couple of hours but ended up as 30 minutes because he was caught up in that big jam on the M25. During this short time my cupboards were raided and he went back with a boot full of items that he needed, I doubt I'll recognise them when I see them again - if I ever see them again!
He says he is loving every minute of uni so far, including the work, not that they have done much, and has great flatmates. He's in a complex of about six flats, each with four students and they are all having a brilliant time together - two are doing the same course as him. He has a car so can get about and is enjoying looking after himself and, allegedly, is trying out recipes from a student cookbook his sister gave him.
I am really grateful that so far it is good and am no longer worrying, as I was last weekend, about whether he is going to be happy there, but it is very quiet without him.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger NOT a happy bunny and cous! said...

They grow up too fast, don't they Sue. I know mine hasn't flown the coop, but he's started the phase before that.
I'm glad it's getting abit easier for you. He'll have a great time! And at least now you have your children substitutes...the cats. Keep smiling. Kim

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger suze said...

Thanks Kim, he certainly seems to be enjoying himself, am missing him but getting on with life. cats are such fun but a nuisance late at night - playing!!! Hope your offspring is settling a bit now. Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home