flo-jo

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Reflections:
Received poor grades and comments on Monday afternoon, took a while for them to sink in. Lots of negative comments about expression and format from Jamie - funny how different work looks on the drawing board at home to the wall at uni, I am going to try and remember that.


Decided to take Andrew's advice and re-visit sketchbook work and look again at my finished product to see how it ended up as it did. Although I realised on the Saturday night, very late, that the design had become a ground pattern, and it didn't feel right (I did try to make changes but they didn't work and it was too late to start again) I didn't quite get the connection to the sketchbook work and finished product that Andrew made during my presentation - but I do now.
Looking again at my model I realise that I don't like it at all, is it the material I used or is it the design? I think it is a combination of both, there is nothing textural or sensual about it - it is hard and flat. I really lost sight of the site in this model - usually I would have sketched over photographs to consider and cement ideas. The design I wanted to create from the feeling expressed through the images of my first model got lost in the process of making the second.

I think I shall re-visit my basic design stuff - raising models from patterns, images etc, as I really enjoyed it and found it very inspirational. Didn't do any exploratory work in my sketchbook on duality, a mistake I think, it could have worked so much better.
If I have learnt anything from this it is how valuable it is to put exploratory work in my sketchbook or on paper and to keep it where I can see it so I keep what is being developed alive!
Onwards and upwards!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home